Friday, December 11, 2009

The Designer

One of my larger objectives of the present and future will be to assume the role of a designer. Since this can mean just about anything, I'll try to narrow it down to a few dozen more specific duties. Here they are...some more obvious than others:

-game designer
-architect/floor plan
-entertainment venue
-life pathing
-future (technological and societal) pathing
-team building and design
-songwriting
-computer systems design
-home theater design
-random invention

The list goes on and on...and most of these I have experienced in one form or another already. Others in fact, I have yet to scratch the surface on, and probably won't for many years, either. But the important part is that I'm throwing around a good number of ideas and I'm sure at least a couple of them will stick.

I listed video game design first since this is very fresh in my mind. I just began reading a book focused on game design and I'm excited to break into it and really get a good insight into the industry itself. Most of the guys I know have programmed games before either in class, on their calculators, or even their own customizations to existing popular games. It's a huge jungle and obviously one that has countless aspiring designers and programmers. So how do I NOT get lost?

For the past month or so, I have casually mentioned my vision to design the "ultimate LAN party game" and actually have several pages of ideas so far. Does that mean anything at all? Yes. Does it mean that I realistically believe that I can pitch the idea to a developer and become rich overnight? Very doubtful, but not entirely impossible. Is it a vital step in the process for my future? Most definitely. I need to begin somewhere, and this is another seed that I have planted, to hopefully one day grow and bear fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment